Soul Jazz Records follows up one its most popular Studio One releases with a brand new selection of rare and classic releases by women in reggae. Featuring legendary artists such as Marcia Griffiths, Rita Marley and Hortense Ellis (with a guest appearance by her brother Alton), alongside a host of rarities from lesser known names such as Nina Soul, Nana Mclean, Denise Darlington, Myrna Hague and also Doreen Schaeffer, a vocalist who was a founding member of The Skatalites.
There are notable covers (from Tyrone Davis' soul classic Can I Change My Mind to the Band's 60s psychedelic classic Turn Turn Turn in a rub-a-dub style!). Doreen Schaeffer reversions Alton Ellis's seminal I'm Still in Love with You, Nina Soul reversions the slack rocksteady anthem Barb Wire. A number of these tracks are almost impossible to find and many have never been issued ever since their initial release.
The music on the album is of course 100% killer and features backing from all of the seminal groups at 13 Brentford Road including The Skatalites, Sound Dimension, Soul Brothers and the Brentford All Stars, and ranges from ska, rocksteady, roots, lovers and more from the 60s, 70s and 80s. All produced by Clement 'Sir Coxsone' Dodd at Studio One Records, the number one sound in reggae music. The album is released on Soul Jazz Records in a CD format that comes in a slipcase and with extensive sleevenotes.
1. Hortense Ellis – Can I Change My Mind
2. Marcia Griffiths– Melody Life
3. Myrna Hague – New World
4. Marcia Griffiths – Shimmering Star
5. Nora Dean – Heartaches
6. The Jay Tees – Buck Town Corner
7. Jennifer Lara – Turn Turn Turn
8. Doreen & Alton – I’m Still In Love
9. Doreen Schaeffer – Sugar Sugar
10. Denise Darlington – Feel So Good
11. Angela Prince – My Man Is Gone
12. Nana McLean – Till I Kissed You
13. Nina Soul – Barb Wire
14. Jackie and Doreen – Welcome You Back Home
15. Nina Soul - Sleeping Trees
16. Rita Marley – Friends and Lovers
17. Hortense Ellis – Secretly
18. Marcia Griffiths – You’re No Good